Search This Blog

Spin the Sky by Jill MacKenzie

Monday, January 9, 2017

A teen enters a reality TV dance competition to win money that’ll allow her to finally escape her small hometown, where she and her sister must live with the repercussions of their unstable runaway
mother.

Goodreads Summary

I personally love dancing/gymnastics/sports books. I was pretty excited to read Spin the Sky because it combined dancing with competition. Magnolia, the main character, enters a competition with her best friend George and their friendship is tested as obstacles and personal issues come up. Magnolia's favorite thing to do in the world is dancing. She feels happy, free, and beautiful when she dances. There was a lot of drama in this book to the point of it almost being on the edge of too much, but, at times, the drama kept my attention. The overall tense feel of the book also kept the book moving along at a fast-pace.

Magnolia's character was so-so for me. I didn't particularly love her, but I didn't dislike her either. I loved her as a dancer and I loved her poise and slight delicacy. She was a little too competitive for the wrong reasons and sometimes I felt like her and the other characters could care less about anyone else. I liked the lyrical writing style and how the book felt "floaty" in many areas. The dialogue was snappy and fun. This book would be a fun read for young adult/teen readers.

4 Stars

This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ

0 comments: