Search This Blog

The Second Season by Heather Chapman

Saturday, October 6, 2018

Eleanor Hopkins has lived in disappointment for far too long believing that her husband only married her for fortune, and she determines to protect her own daughters from such misery by scheming to secure offers for both Lucy and Caroline based on mutual rank and reputation. When Caroline finds that the handsome and reputable Lord Searly desires her as his wife, she finds that no amount of planning or pretending can convince her to accept him. Instead, she is confronted with an unexpected and reluctant suitor in the respectable shoemaker Thomas Clark.

Goodreads Summary

I wouldn't be too happy thinking that my husband only married me because I had money. Eleanor has a money-hungry husband with no regard for her. She is fiercely protective of her daughters and wants them to make matches that are based on more than financial needs. When Lucy and Caroline come of age, Caroline is a bit headstrong and goes against what is expected of her. Instead of marrying for looks and money, she finds that she is intrigued by a humble shoemaker. Lucy also has her own adventures in love and even Eleanor, the matriarch, has little tidbits and past scenes included in the book.

I found that while I liked all of the characters, I enjoyed and related to Caroline the best. I liked how she was headstrong and knew what she wanted in a time where many women had events like marriage determined for them by their parents. Lucy was a little more serene and not as impulsive, but her character was sweet and her suitors amusing. I liked learning more about the background between their mother and father; the flashbacks answered a lot of questions I had and ensured a continued interest in the book. Overall, I found the book well-written and quaint.

4 Stars

This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ

0 comments: