Search This Blog

A Tyranny of Petticoats: 15 Stories of Belles, Bank Robbers & Other Badass Girls

Saturday, January 30, 2016
Criss-cross America — on dogsleds and ships, stagecoaches and trains — from pirate ships off the coast of the Carolinas to the peace, love, and protests of 1960s Chicago. Join fifteen of today’s most talented writers of young adult literature on a thrill ride through history with American girls charting their own course. They are monsters and mediums, bodyguards and barkeeps, screenwriters and schoolteachers, heiresses and hobos. They're making their own way in often-hostile lands, using every weapon in their arsenals, facing down murderers and marriage proposals. And they all have a story to tell.

With stories by:
J. Anderson Coats
Andrea Cremer
Y. S. Lee
Katherine Longshore
Marie Lu
Kekla Magoon
Marissa Meyer
Saundra Mitchell
Beth Revis
Caroline Richmond
Lindsay Smith
Jessica Spotswood
Robin Talley
Leslye Walton
Elizabeth Wein

Goodreads Summary

I love so many of the authors who helped write this book so I was really looking forward to their stories...and I wasn't disappointed!  There were fifteen unique stories with poignant, intelligent female characters.  It's hard to go into one specific story since I enjoyed most of them and they were short enough that if I go into detail I might give something away.  Some of the stories resonated with me more than others.  I will admit that there were a few characters that I had a hard time connecting to.  I really appreciated that I could read one story at a time and pick the book up later on.  I didn't feel rushed into reading through the book.  The authors, for the most part, were wonderful at plot building and picked interesting settings.  I liked how there were unique historical events incorporated into the stories and how each girl was unique in her own way.  Overall, this book is recommended to young adult/teen readers.

3 1/2 Stars

This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ

5 comments:

  1. Unknown said...:

    sometimes I think anthologies can go either way. Especially since there are so many stories. It's usually a mix of how many I like and don't. I want to check this one out for sure.

  1. This sound like a neat idea for an anthology and one really can't go wrong with so many wonderful authors.

  1. I have never really had a good experience with anthologies before, but I always hope that I will enjoy them. This one has so many great authors, and the stories are all about girlpower, so I might have to at least give it a shot!

  1. This sounds like a neat theme for an anthology. I have yet to find and anthology where I have loved every story either.

  1. Alisha S. said...:

    I really like a lot of these authors and the stories sound intriguing. I really need to pick this one up! Thanks for the review!