Search This Blog

Beautiful Battlefields By: Bo Stern

Monday, September 30, 2013




Bo Stern realizes life is full of fierce and unexpected battles. When her husband was diagnosed with a terminal illness, she knew she had found her Goliath. With winsome sincerity, Bo points to the battle plans available to us in Scripture and to our God who brings beauty from the struggles we face.

Goodreads Summary


Although I haven't endured the battle of my life yet (not looking forward
to it), I've seen and heard how others (friends and family) have met and
dealt with their "Goliath".  One family member began with little religious
faith...and ended with even less.  He did not see the beauty in the battle
- only the loss and heartache. Others found strength in family ties and
spirituality.  Friends who faced battles that didn't end in death seemed
to experience stress, but approached the situations with humor.

Bo Stern's description of her response to her husband Steve's ALS
diagnosis and illness is a gift to those who are fighting their own
battles.  It's a gift for someone like me - to see how I may approach my
own future battle.  It's a gift to learn how to help (in some small way)
those who are being crushed by the weight of despair and wondering "Why
me?".

Stern invites us, "Let's find some beauty, shall we?", and she does.  Even
if we don't know what greater good God intends to come from our battles,
there is a larger purpose.  There is endurance...and endurance may lead to
joy.  Stern includes so many wonderful quotes from Scripture.  A favorite
for me was from Romans:  "We rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that
suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and
character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame."  Some battles
are too hard and too long (I wish no one had these battles), but Stern
helps to put a new perspective on what's really important to the fight.
Assemble your army - and help one another.  Appreciate every minute of
your day...and the beauty of people and nature around you.

5 Stars


*Reviewed by Kristin*

This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

2 comments:

  1. Susan T. said...:

    I understand facing a serious illness as I am myself but I'm not particularly religious. This might be helpful for others though!

  1. This sounds pretty inspirational. I'm not particularly religious but at the same time, everybody needs something to believe in. I have to pick this up whenever I see it.
    Thanks for the review!